Frequently Asked Questions
Below we try to answer the most commonly asked questions. If you cannot find the answer you are looking for here, please Contact Us.
- What is your address?
- What are your hours?
- How can I pay a parking ticket?
- Can I pay for my parking ticket with a credit or debit card?
- How can I get a copy of my accident report?
- Is there a charge for a copy of a report?
- Where can I dispose of old drugs?
- What time is curfew?
- What do the sirens mean?
- Does the city operate an emergency radio station?
- What time does the loud noise ordinance start?
- Where can I get a child's car seat inspected?
- What is your address? Top of Page
Kent Police Department, 319 S Water St., Kent Ohio 44240 (Map It)
We are located at S. Water St. and Haymaker Pkwy, right across the street from Walgreens. Parking is off of E. Day Street. Follow the sidewalk along E. Day street to the public entrance at the corner of S. Water Street and E. Day Street.
- What are your hours? Top of Page
The police department is open 24 hours a day.
Records are available from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Monday through Friday.
Evidence may be released from 8:00 AM-4:00 PM Monday through Friday, or by arrangement. Please call first.
- How can I pay a parking ticket? Top of Page
Pay parking tickets in person at Budget & Finance, 320 S Depeyster St Kent,Ohio 44240 Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.
After hours, tickets may be paid at the police department. There is a drop box in the lobby of the police department and one in the parking lot of Budget & Finance where payments may be dropped off. Make checks payable to City of Kent
- Can I pay for my parking ticket with a credit or debit card? Top of Page
- Yes. Click here to Pay Parking Tickets
- How can I get a copy of my accident or case report? Top of Page
Copies of reports can be obtained in person or by mail.
Accident reports are also available on line - see Accident Reports Page.
In person -- Come to the police department between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.
By Mail -- Mail your request to the police department. Include a note providing the Report Number (CR) OR the name of one of the parties involved. Including the date and location of the accident would be helpful. Enclose a self addressed, stamped envelope.
- Is there a charge for a copy of a report? Top of Page
- There is no charge for copies up to 19 pages. After 19 pages, it is $.05 per page, including the first 19.*
- Where can I dispose of old drugs? Top of Page
There is a box in the parking lot of the police department where the drugs can be dropped off. It is a large grey box, similar to a postal mail box. It is located next to the handicap parking space.
Drugs can be dropped off any time. Please remove the label from the bottle. No needles please.
- What time is curfew? Top of Page
Curfew applies to anyone under the age of 18.
On Sunday through Thursday, curfew hours are from 11:00 PM until 06:00 AM of the following day.
On Friday and Saturday curfew hours are from 12:01 AM until 6:00 AM
- What do the sirens mean? Top of Page
The City of Kent has emergency sirens that are set off during an emergency situation. Most often, they are set off when bad weather approaches or other hazardous conditions exist. For further guidance,
see radio station information below.
The sirens are tested twice a month, the first Wednesday of the month at 11:00 AM, and the third Wednesday of the month at 6:30 PM. The sirens run for three minutes.
When an actual emergency occurs, the sirens will run for nine minutes.
A Tornado Watch means conditions are right for a tornado to occur.
A Tornado Warning means a tornado has been sighted.
- Does the city operate an emergency radio station? Top of Page
Radio station 1620 AM
The City of Kent operates a low power radio station at 1620 AM, which is used for traffic and emergency notification. In addition to weather emergencies, other types of emergencies that may require notification to the public include major fires, hazmat emergency incidents, or other dangerous conditions. When the sirens are activated, the community should tune to radio frequency 1620 AM for further explanation and directions.
- What time does the loud noise ordinance start? Top of Page
- Between the hours of 9:00 PM until 8:00 AM of the following day, an officer may issue a citation if the noise can be heard beyond the property line. You may call about loud noise at any time outside this time frame, however you may be required to sign as a witness to the violation. Kent City Ordinance 509.12.
- Where can I get a child's car seat inspected?Top of Page
- The Kent Police Department does not inspect child car seats, but there are several nearby agenices that do. Click here to see a list of agencies that provide this service. The information can also be found on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's NHTSA site.